January 16, 2011

Infinity Blade from Epic Games

So, what's the deal?

Everyone is talking about Infinity Blade these days.
As IGN have given it 9 out of 10, and stated "iPhone game of the year", I had to check it out.
So I enter the App store, find the game, and tap my way through to the start screen.

And I'm blown away. The graphic is outstanding! I really didn't expect this kind of graphic on a game made for my iPhone. And of course, the retina display makes every detail so nice and smooth, so I find my self staring at the screen, feeling the joy and excitement.

After a movie sequence with a minor tutorial, you find yourself killed, and the king says that he shall be summoned again when the bloodline have matured.

Then 20 years later, the son looks over an amazing scenery, and states "Father - I shall avenge you!"
So it begins. The game is truly beautiful, and the gameplay is designed for a touchscreen, you swipe your fingers, touch different parts of the screen to perform different actions and so on.
The thrill when starting to play is overwhelming and exciting. You learn new moves along the way during the first battles, and you look around the scenery in this beautiful castle

Then, all of a sudden, you're face to face with the mean guy from the intro movie, and the time to avenge your father is upon you.
Of course you get killed, the guy is insanely though. My thoughts at that point were: "So, I have to get stronger".
And my reaction? "Oh, the sequence 20 years later popping up again?"
The plot of the game then reveals it self': you try to avenge your father, you fail, and you start over. But as you start over, you keep the loot, the money and the advancement you have made on the character. And then you do the entire same routine again.

There are a total of two paths to the throne room, so after two times, you have explored what there is. Then it's just all about being able to fight. So: fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight! From the top: Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight!

After some time, you master your weapons and accessories, and move onwards to new ones. You do not keep the effects from the items you have mastered, so it'd basically about mastering something for the sheer joy of it, as well as getting one extra attribute point to enhance your character with for every item you have mastered,

Indeed, the game is beautiful, the plot is good, but I have to say:
When it comes to repetitive games, where you have to do the same over and over, I actually want to start all over every time, and see if I can beat myself, not do the same over and over and over to get stronger to continue to do the same over and over and over.

I have to say: Try it out! Either you love it, or you don't. Playing through a couple of times will kill an hour at least, and it's worth the money just for the beauty of it. And the experience of fighting using different moves with your fingers at the right time, is indeed a good one.

In other words: I loved the game, but got tired of it way to fast.

1 comment: